1. I haven’t posted at all in August. I’m sorry/you’re welcome!
2. Classes FINALLY ended for me last Thursday. They start up again on the 26th. Not looking forward to it! I have started to get snippy at work when people mention back to school shopping. I have to go back too! Stop talking about it!
3. I recently switched out one of my classes for the fall so I will now have two classes on campus. I’ve done pretty well with managing one on-campus class and one online class, but the past two semesters of self-paced classes really really burnt me out. I was originally taking World Politics as self-paced but when I looked up and saw the books were over $200, I switched it out faster than you could say “capitalism.” I am now taking The Archaeologist Looks at Death and Japanese Society. Japanese Society is the one I just added and I am super pumped because it is a 100+ person lecture and it has been a long time since I could sit in the back of an auditorium and not have to speak.
4. My grand plans for my summer “vacation” were to get some painting in. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I have still not touched a paintbrush since January. I have, however, been cutting/folding/gluing the hell out of some cardstock. After months of trying to figure out table decoration for the wedding, I stumbled across this tutorial from one of my favorite blogs. I didn’t want to go to the trouble of actually painting the paper (although I’m sure it’s a lovely effect) so I just bought colored cardstock.
It is very time consuming. The first batch of teal ones probably took about 10 hours split over 2 days. It is pretty mindless work though. I bought a stand for the iPad and just sit and watch shows. I finished up half a season of New Girl and probably 3/4 of a season of 2 Broke Girls (total guilty pleasure, it’s cheesy but I love it). I only burned myself once on the glue gun and that was while trying to reach behind it to pause the iPad.
The big ones use 3″ squares, the middle ones 2″ squares and the small ones 1″ squares. I like how the 1″ ones look best but I feel like they take the longest. Although that’s probaly not true since I just counted and all flowers average about ~15 petals so it’s all in my head I guess.
I haven’t had time to sit for 5 hour stretches but I’ve been doing a bit every night. I was sitting at work the other day and thinking how I wished I could bring in my papercutter/glue gun and get a little crafting in, when I remembered I could make different flowers!
These ones are a lot quicker and only require a drop of glue to hold them down, which I can do later at home. Non-stop crafting!
Now the only problem is, I only have about 40 flowers done and probably need a few hundred for the effect I want.
5. I’m running a 5k on Saturday! A real one! No colored cornstarch or tricks! I am only up to 20 minutes of running though and I run like a tortoise, so who knows how it will go. If you see in the news: “Girl dies after running 21 minutes and only making it half a mile,” that just might be me.
6. It is a lot of fun planning a wedding, and even more fun if you love surprises as much as I do. I am hesitant to share ANY details because I want to surprise everyone. I even have a few tricks up my sleeve that I haven’t shared with Keith. It’s gonna be awesome. Right now I am super struggling with the guest list. I have made two. All/nothing, it seems. I am really really torn on who to include and who not to. We have space restrictions at the venue and I never in a million years thought I’d have more than 100 people on the tentative list, but it turns out I do. If you’re reading this and it turns out I wasn’t able to invite you, please know that it was not a slight. And rest assured that there will be 14 hours of photographic coverage that I can share!